Touring Tips: Turn Left!

70% of these people are headed to Tomorrowland. Be the other 30%.

Did you know that the bridge into Tomorrowland is twice as wide as any of the other bridges or pathways leading into any of the other Magic Kingdom lands? Do you know why this is? Because Disney park planners are extremely wise and know one simple fact: people are more apt to turn right than to turn left.

As soon as I learned this little-known Disney fact, I wondered if it was due to the whole driving on the right side of the street thing–and thus, if I turned left, would I encounter only tourists visiting from the UK? Not so.

It has nothing to do with learned driving patterns and everything to do with innate brain function. People are drawn to travel in the direction of their dominant side; as most people are right handed–around 70% of the population, in fact–most people turn right without even thinking about it.

What does this mean for you, dear reader? It means I’m telling you, for the love of Goofy, turn left, and start your Disney adventure in Adventureland. 

But wait–I know what you are going to say next.  Aren’t you supposed to head towards the big-ticket attractions first thing? Well, sure. You could. You could also send some brave soul ahead of you to collect fast passes for said attractions while the rest of your party turns left. But I guarantee that avoiding the crowds first thing in the morning will pay off.  You’ll get to experience half of the park in relative solitude, and once you hit the crowds, they’ll all be walking in the opposite direction, headed to those attractions you already experienced–leaving the rest of the park less crowded as well.

This advice isn’t only good for the Magic Kingdom, of course. Turn left when entering Epcot and avoid the crowds rushing towards Soarin. Hollywood Studios is very left-heavy, with Tower of Terror, Rock n’ Roller Coaster, and Toy Story Midway Mania all on the left side of the park.  Check out Star Tours in the morning instead or hit the first Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular of the day. At Animal Kingdom, make like a giraffe and head left towards Kilimanjaro Safari and away from Expedition Everest; you’ll not only encounter fewer crowds, but the animals are much more active in the early morning hours.

On my first visit to Walt Disney World–at age 30–I headed straight to Pirates of the Caribbean as soon as I entered the park. By the end of the day, I’d experienced every attraction on my must-do list (which, to be fair, was darn near all of them) with time left to spare.

So take my advice–turn left. And come back and let us know how it worked out for you!

 

Comments are closed.